Monday, January 11, 2016

Introduction

Hello, everyone! I'm Ryan Powers, and I major in aerospace engineering at Western Michigan University. I have always had a very analytical mind, and solving problems is what I enjoy. Back when I was a little kid, I actually had a great passion for art and writing; I thought that at some point, I would become a writer, and telling stories was a hobby for me at an early age. During high school, however, I began to develop more interest in math and science than in history, English, or the arts. Those were also my discovered strengths.

I have two siblings, a brother and a sister who are both younger than me. However, I did have have an older sister who passed away when I was a one year old baby due to a rare skin condition that covered most of her body. Although I do not remember that event, I still think about it quite often.
One of my current hobbies is going to the gym. Being active and fit did not really appeal to me back in high school, and my athletic ability was quite abysmal. Senior year was finally when I began attending the weight room on a regular basis, and I have been able to keep that consistency for the past two years.

Another hobby that I have is watching movies. There was a time when I would watch movies for the pure sake of enjoyment, but I have recently discovered that they can be much more than that, much like any other art form. Some of my all-time favorite films are the original Star Wars movies, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Stand By Me, and Toy Story. 

4 comments:

  1. I completely share your interest in working out. I try to go nearly everyday and love to hear and meet from other people dedicated to improving your body and yourself like you seem to be. Maybe I'll see you in there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always give props to people like you studying Aerospace Engineering. I know a lot of friends doing it. I think it's quite interesting that your focus shifted from the fine arts to science. I also did lots of art during middle school-high school and as I got older I kind of stopped. It was one of those things I wished I continued. I enjoyed doing watercolors and portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that you watch movies for their artistic qualities. If you ever want to watch some more cinematically beautiful movies, I suggest checking out The Fifth Element, Lords of Dog Town, and Blade Runner. Or just rewatching them with a keener eye for color pallets, lighting and camera angles. If I had all the time in the world I would paint every scene from Blade Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also rarely went to the gym in high school. Most of my physical activity came from dance class. However, since I started college I fit workouts into my schedule and love it! Great way to relieve stress and feel better overall.

    ReplyDelete